I’m Emily. I love the South.
Although I was born and raised in the Northeast, the South has always felt like home to me. All of my family is from and (mostly) lives in Kentucky, the place where I have spent every Christmas and a few weeks every summer since my birth. What amazes me is that even though I only see my grandparents and extended family two or three times a year, we are very close.
I have come to the conclusion that there must be something special and Southern going on here to allow such a bond to develop and I have an idea of what that might be: great stories, sayings, food, and care (always served together, at all times and by great people).
So, in the spirit of sharing great stories, sayings, food and care, I have decided to blog about the sweet morsels in my life, the things that make me smile.
And why is this blog called “the sugarlump”? Because one of my grandmothers used to call me “sugarlump” when I was little and I think it captures well the intention of this blog (to compile the sweetness in my life) and is extremely Southern.
Side note: When I told my grandmother I was thinking of starting a blog and calling it “the sugarlump,” she was quick to reassure me that “sugarlump” was a term of endearment. It had never occurred to me that she meant it otherwise, but I suppose she was just clarifying that she wasn’t calling me plump, which I was not even borderline close to as a child. In fact, my level of nutrition was questioned a time or two due to my extremely spindly physique. As evidence, I have provided a photo of my knobby knees (pictured right, sporting my tap recital ensemble):
Some other things about me:
1. I do not enjoy tap dancing.
2. I’m a residential interior designer. Helping people create a home is very important to me. I decided to make a career of it and started my own business quite young. Here I am on my first day:
3. I consider myself a private person and am mildly allergic to all of the oversharing of mundane details of one’s life via social media. I also surprise myself sometimes. I suppose I have justified sharing my life in blog form by 1) giving it a specific purpose/flair and 2) only sharing things that are meaningful/noteworthy/extremely profound/absurd.
4. Oh, and did I mention that I don’t really care for writing? I would rather complete an entire SAT II prep book of Algebra problems than write a five paragraph essay. So I’m going to keep this informal and more conversational; however, I will try to use correct grammar for the sake of coherence.
5. I don’t like odd numbers, except when arranging accessories or making points. And this one makes five. Ha!
I hope these posts make you laugh and rejoice.
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
Yay! So happy you have decided to join me in the wonderful world of blogging! perfect way for me to know what you are up to when you move down south. 🙂
Pingback: Circuit Blast is Not a Blast | The Sugarlump
I am really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any internet
browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog
visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great
in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?